Photo by RBerteig. Take a break from “serious” math and have a little fun today with some classics of recreational mathematics. Do you have a favorite math or logic fallacy? Please share it in the Comments below.
Story Problem Fallacy
- Classic Fallacies Can you find the false step in each of these “proofs”?
- How to Double Your Salary Using an Algebraic Loophole Another version of the beginning algebra fallacy, from WikiHow.
- Dissection Fallacy 63 = 64 = 65 from WolframMathWorld.
- What Is Wrong? (Rouse Ball’s Fallacy) A geometry “proof” from Cut the Knot.
Edited to Add
I found this spoof of a famous number theory joke in my feed reader this afternoon…
- Proof: all April fools’ jokes are interesting “Let S be the set of uninteresting April fools’ jokes…”
Claim your two free learning guide booklets, and be one of the first to hear about new books, revisions, and sales or other promotions.