[Photo by Passion of Bilwa.]
I’ve put the word problems from my elementary problem solving series into printable worksheets:
- Word Problems from Mr. Popper’s Penguins
- Word Problems from Poor Richard
- Word Problems from Narnia
- Word Problems from The Hobbit
The word problems are worked out and explained at their original posts:
- Penguin Math: Elementary Problem Solving 2nd Grade
- Ben Franklin Math: Elementary Problem Solving 3rd Grade
- Narnia Math: Elementary Problem Solving 4th Grade
- Hobbit Math: Elementary Problem Solving 5th Grade
As with all my handouts, feel free to download and print them for use in your own classroom, homeschool, or math club, as long as you leave the copyright information intact. As one of the founding fathers of mathematics is reported to have said:
I will be sufficiently rewarded if when telling it to others you will not claim the discovery as your own, but will say it was mine.
Update: My New Book
You can help prevent math anxiety by giving your children the mental tools they need to conquer the toughest story problems.
Check out Word Problems from Literature: An Introduction to Bar Model Diagrams—now available at all your favorite online bookstores!
And there’s a paperback Student Workbook, too.